Friday, June 18, 2010

can I push the 'don't like' button?

2 posts in one day? yikes...I am becoming what I thought I might be if I started this thing: a blogger addict. I love writing. :) But the good news is, I'm pretty sure that there aren't many people at all, if any, that read this...so I can ramble freely...

But here's what I wanted to ramble about: debt. I HATE debt, with a passion. I also don't really like spending. Okay, okay..so I like spending..but at the same time I don't, because with the spending often comes a guilty feeling..like "Stephanie, do you really need that?" or "is this wise?" ..the questions go on and on. I don't think it's always a bad thing, because I tend to be someone who is very frugal and conservative in my spending..and it keeps me out of trouble. And we are called to be good stewards with what God has entrusted to us, and chris and I are trying to do that.
But we are not without debt. I made some poor decisions with my whole schooling "career", and I hate the fact that I went to school for 3 years, and have nothing to show for it but a big bill. Chris also went to school (and thankfully, came out on the other side with a diploma) but it wasn't without a price tag that still lingers. Since then, we have bought a house, and 2 cars (1 of which I just got back from signing the papers for..which is what inspired this post...) If I magically inherited a big sum of money, I think the first thing I would do is pay off our debt (and give some back to God :) Why am I so adamant? Because debt ties us down. It keeps us from being free to give more of what we have to others in need..It's keeping me at a job that I don't like, just because we need the weekly paycheck. And it's causing us to be quite nervous to even think about the "next" phase of life - having children.
Someday I hope to have a huge bonfire of all the loan paperwork for our school debt, car, blah blah blah...and we will keep striving towards that end. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment